Finding Strength in Psalm 118:71



"It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I might learn Your statutes." – Psalm 118:71

These words from Psalm 118 hold a deep and powerful message that resonates in the hearts of those who have faced hardships and suffering. At first glance, it may seem strange to say that affliction is good. How can pain, struggle, and sorrow be seen as blessings? Yet, it is often through these very trials that we come to know God more intimately and understand His ways more clearly.

The Unexpected Gift of Affliction

When I first encountered this verse, it was during a particularly difficult season of my life. Everything seemed to be falling apart—plans crumbled, relationships strained, and the weight of my worries felt unbearable. I found myself asking, “Why, God? Why is this happening to me?” It’s a question that, I believe, many of us have whispered in the silence of our hearts.

In those moments of brokenness, it’s easy to feel abandoned and alone. But looking back, I realize that it was through these struggles that God was drawing me closer to Him. The afflictions were not punishments but invitations—opportunities to lean on Him, trust in His wisdom, and surrender my will to His perfect plan.

Learning Through the Valleys

Psalm 118:71 teaches us that it is often in the darkest valleys of our lives that we learn the most profound lessons. When things are going smoothly, we can become complacent, relying on our own strength and understanding. But when we face challenges, we are reminded of our need for God’s guidance and grace.

For me, this verse became a beacon of hope. It reminded me that the trials I faced were not meaningless. They were shaping me, molding me, and teaching me to trust in God’s statutes—His laws, His promises, and His unfailing love. I began to see my struggles not as burdens to carry but as stepping stones leading me closer to the heart of God.

The Blessing of Brokenness

One of the most beautiful aspects of Psalm 118:71 is the realization that our afflictions can be blessings in disguise. It’s not easy to see this when we’re in the midst of suffering, but with time and faith, we can begin to understand that God’s ways are higher than ours.

When I reflect on my own journey, I can see how God used my hardships to strengthen my faith. The pain I endured taught me compassion for others who are suffering. The obstacles I faced showed me the power of perseverance. And the disappointments I experienced revealed the beauty of God’s timing and His perfect will.

If you are going through a difficult time right now, I want to encourage you: do not lose heart. God is with you, even when it feels like He is far away. Your struggles are not in vain. They are part of a greater story that He is writing for your life, one filled with purpose, hope, and redemption.

Trusting in God’s Plan

Psalm 118:71 calls us to trust in God’s plan, even when we don’t understand it. It invites us to believe that He is at work in our lives, using every trial and triumph to draw us closer to Him. It’s a reminder that, as painful as our afflictions may be, they are not the end of our story. They are, in fact, the beginning of something beautiful—a deeper relationship with God and a stronger, more resilient faith.

So, if you find yourself in a season of suffering, take heart. Know that God is using this time to teach you, to grow you, and to reveal His love in ways you may not yet see. Allow yourself to be open to His guidance. Let go of the need to control every outcome and trust that He is leading you on the path that is best for you.

A Prayer for Strength and Understanding

Lord, thank You for the gift of Your Word, which brings comfort and light in times of darkness. Help us to see our afflictions not as punishments but as opportunities to learn more about Your statutes and to grow in faith. Give us the strength to endure our trials with grace and the wisdom to understand the lessons You are teaching us. May we always trust in Your perfect plan, knowing that You are working all things together for our good. Amen. ๐Ÿ™

Embrace the Journey

Remember, dear friend, that every struggle, every tear, and every trial is part of the journey God has set before you. He is with you every step of the way, and He will never let you go. Hold on to the truth of Psalm 118:71, and let it be a source of strength and encouragement. May you find peace in knowing that even in your afflictions, God is guiding you, teaching you, and drawing you closer to His heart. ๐Ÿ’–

Let us embrace the lessons of our hardships, for they are the tools God uses to shape us into the people we are meant to be. And may we always remember that in every trial, there is a loving Father who walks beside us, leading us home. ๐ŸŒŸ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

155. Q. What does “worship” mean?

131. Q. What does “world” mean in this question?

134. Q. Does “man” in the Catechism mean all human beings?